Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sporting Epiphany

This evening I realized that I didn't have to focus this blog so narrowly. There are so many more things that can be covered in the space than my tennis experience. I can cover my second love running, and why not all things sports related while I am at it. I know in the future it would be cool to reflect on my athletic experience.

Firstly, though in the days following my running of the 32nd Annual Marine Corps Marathon I was grossly unsatisfied with my accomplishment, I have now accepted the event for what it really was: a monumental undertaking that I completed. From New Years Resolution to Registration in May, Training all summer, and the Running on Halloween weekend. I made a promise to myself and I followed through.

As a competitive person it sucks to take more time than Oprah to complete a marathon, but in the grand scheme of things who gives a shit? This was for me, I did this so that I could prove to myself it could be done, that I could put my mind to something and see it through. This wasnt the Clarinet in 7th grade, or CYO Basketball in the 8th. This was running in the prime of my physical ability and I could do this.

I beat myself up a little after the race and swore that I would do it again, only next time I would do it better. This despite my initial promise to myself I would only subject my body to this grueling task once. I knew my body needed a break from most physical activity to fully recuperate.

Last week I jumped back on the horse because running isnt just what I do to stay fit, its what I enjoy when the world starts to weigh on me. I know the escape is temporary, but its also euphoric. I am not one of those people who clears their minds while they run either; I process. Constantly. I take in my surrounding, the people, places and things I pass. Events of my past and future. The big picture, grand scheme of things, meaning of life. It all passes through my head. While at the same time keeping pace with "4 My People" by Missy Elliott.

The only downside to running is that it is hard on my genetically predisposed to damage knees. The constant pounding of my foot to the ground puts unnecessary amounts of pressure on my knee. Currently my left one is giving me some problems. I am working with my stride some to see if that can help to lessen the pain, but ultimately I think I will need to see a doctor, maybe even start wearing a knee brace for support. Step one will be to get a new pair a shoes and then to keep on running.

Thank God for my health.

No comments:

 
"The Man Who Knows Something, Knows He Knows Nothing at All"