Friday, January 18, 2008

Aussie Open: Day 5 Recap

I think Steve Tignor over at Tennis Magazine summed it up best, in his post Late Night Blues, when talking about the adventure Aussie Open watching can be:
"Did I say I liked watching the Aussie Open at all hours? Can I revise that statement? It’s not that I don’t like it, exactly, but it does kinda get in the way.
If you're out at dinner past 10... you’ve missed a good three hours of banter between Martina Navratilova and Bill Macatee. Or if you need to get to work at a respectable hour, forget about taping and seeing all of [the late late matches]. I’m not complaining, just scrambling to find a way to fit all this tennis—as well as a good, old-fashioned mace job in the stands—into my routine."

Truer words could not have been written. As I left for work this morning, The Roddick v. Kohlschreiber match was still on LIVE and would not finish until almost 10am EST! The dissapointing part of it is that as a unabashed Roddick (The Fratboy) hater, I would have loved to see him get demolished at the hands of the "talented" shot makig German.

Alas, on with the rest of the recap...

Another night, means another Williams sister match and tonight The Diva showed up on court and ushered the hard hitting, fleet of foot Belerusian out of the tournament. One break in each set was that was accomplished, but it was enough and Serena kept the errors down and moved well.

Mauresmo continued her abysmal free fall from the upper echelons of tennis with ouster at the hands of hometown favorite, Australian Casey Dellacqua.

The Little Bitch That could was pushed, by the fun Italian Francesca Schiavone, but pulled off another straight sets victory. I am hoping her and the Shrieking Princess cross paths in the quarters and that the Shrieking Princess emerges victorious. (Lesser of two evils) However, should TLBTC make it to the semis and the The Diva did too, I am confident the result will be different than the last three times.

Other big names made it through in pretty simple fashion as well - The Eldest Serbian Vitch, The Czech Beauty, and of couse The Shrieking Princess

The mens side provided more excitement with the aforementioned Roddick lost. Always good news for a tournament if you ask me. Mikhail Youzhny and Nikolay Davydenko both pulled off wins but American Mardy Fish will have to pack his bags for Florida now.

One of the best stories of the tournament has to be Jo-Wilfred Tsonga. He is and athletic French player whose biggest win to date was against Murray in the first round. I love to watch him play cause he enjoys it so much. Last year he was sent home by Roddick (ugh) but if things keep going well for him, he could be this year's Aussie Baghdatis or Gonzalez.

Friday night means I will have to decide between tennis and being social, but the DVR will be set to record the Mirza vs. The Goddess match (a battle of big hitters; Mirza's forehand is amazing) as well as the Baghdatis, Hewitt Grinder.

Tennis, I will be sad when you leave me again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recap! Much to my dismay, I was completely shocked that Roddick lost. I would have loved to see the Roddick match!

 
"The Man Who Knows Something, Knows He Knows Nothing at All"