Monday, January 21, 2008

Aussie Open: Day 7 & 8 Recap

I thought the long weekend would be a good time for me to catch up on some of the tennis that I have been missing out on thanks to my social life and the time difference. I was wrong. My recap of the past two days is largely what I have read on Tennis Magazines website or the snippets that I was able to catch in the windows of free time that I had.

No more big upsets on the women's side with the number 1,3,4,5,7, and 8 seeds all in the quarterfinals which start on Monday night here in the states, but are played Tuesday in Australia. I am uber excited about the match between the Shrieking "Princess" and the Little Bitch That Could, because it means one of them will be out of the tournament as a result. As the lesser of the two evils I am hoping the Shrieking Princess can pull it out (as stated in my earlier post) but either way the tennis gods will be slightly more at peace.

The mens side has a couple of great stories and just as a good matches in store as well. Novak "Nole" Djokovic dispatched the hometown favorite, Hewitt, meaning that only the good guys are left in the tourney. Blake will face the Fed who should be newly determined to reassert himself as the firm number one. Djokovic will face the spanish grinder Ferrer, but with his sturdy play should be able to pull of a 4 sets or less win. Tsonga, the for sure break through player of the tournament will play a sometimes beautiful player in the Russian Youznhy that could be another great late night match (gonna set the DVR extra long for this one). Nadal is playing no one of consequence and should make it easily into the semis.

Only a few more days of this before my nights are empty again. Havent decided if that is a good or bad thing yet. But I will let you know in about 4 days!

Will try to recap day 9 before day 10 starts but makin no guarantees here!

No comments:

 
"The Man Who Knows Something, Knows He Knows Nothing at All"